The Mississippi Highway Safety Patrol, formed in 1938, is charged with the responsibility of enforcing traffic laws on state and federal highways.
Mississippi’s state troopers must be prepared to assist local law enforcement agencies and to respond to statewide emergencies at the request of the governor. The officers of the patrol exemplify the agency’s motto of Courtesy, Service and Safety. The mission of the Mississippi Highway Safety Patrol is to:
- Encourage and promote the safe operation of vehicles on Mississippi’s state and federal highways;
- Enforce traffic laws and other applicable laws in a fair, impartial and courteous manner;
- Function as guardians of public safety in a professional capacity;
- Assist other law enforcement and criminal justice agencies; and
- Enhance the public esteem for law enforcement by precept and example of each member of the department.