What is the statute used for salvage inspection?
- Every licensed new and used car and/or truck dealer doing business in this state shall inspect or have inspected every new and used vehicle sold by such dealer in the manner prescribed by section 63-13-9, and shall affix an official dealer’s inspection certificate, which shall be furnished by the commissioner of public safety, to each new and used vehicle, if such dealer is authorized to make inspections. If such dealer is not so authorized, such dealer shall have such vehicle inspected by an authorized inspection station. No new or used vehicle shall be sold that does not have a properly affixed and current inspection certificate. Such certificates shall be valid until the next official inspection is required.
- The commissioner of public safety may suspend or revoke, for any reasonable time not to exceed one year, the privilege of any dealer to make such an inspection and affix such dealer’s inspection certificate to his vehicle upon abuse of any dealer of this right.
- No person or persons other than those described in this section shall issue a dealer’s certificate of inspection and approval.
SOURCES: Codes, 1942, §§ 8258-04, 8258-07; Laws, 1960, ch. 408, §§ 4, 7; Laws, 1962, ch. 529, eff from and after passage (approved June 1, 1962).
Should photos be taken before or after repair work is done?
The photos of the vehicle need to be taken prior to repair work being done. They should be taken in the manner as prescribed on Form 65-104.
If the word “cowl” or “firewall” is checked on the form, can I get a clear title?
No, it is automatically titled as rebuilt.
Do I have to replace the airbag?
Yes, a certified statement must be presented at the time of inspection stating that the airbag is functioning properly.
If I have a vehicle that was rebuilt in another state, can I get it inspected in Mississippi?
No, the vehicle must be inspected in the state in which the repair work was done.
Where do I have to get the inspections performed?
All inspections must be done in the district in which you reside.
What items do I need to bring with me at the time of inspection?
- A completed application for inspection of salvage vehicle/rebuilt (65-104)
- Four photographs should be attached to the back of an application instruction sheet as prescribed on Form 65-104
- The original salvage title
- Receipts for parts/labor bills
- Two copies of each document that is needed will also be required